Thursday, May 7, 2009

Family Man Sazali Samad

Sacrificing good food for his body building competition is made easier with his family around.

There are only two people in the world who can tell four-time Mr Universe, Sazali Samad, what to do.

The first is his wife, Hashrine Hashim whom he married in December 1996 and the second is his two-year-old daughter, Nur Sabrina Hani.

In solid form: Sazali will be competing in the World Amateur Championship in Bahrain this November.

An off day mostly sees this 41-year-old police sergeant at his PDRM quarters in Setiawangsa, Kuala Lumpur, padding about the comfy flat with little Hani in his heftily muscled arms. When the three older sons, aged between ten and four, have either gone down to play or are taking a nap, Sazali will settle down on the couch for a forty winks himself.

Speaking of children, Sazali would quip, “Life is never boring when you have four children. I am not saying it is easy, but it is certainly not boring”.

And here are some tips on how Sazali keeps his gang of four occupied.

“There is always the option of taking them to the shopping mall, provided there is a Chicken Rice Shop or a Sushi King outlet, because I have to watch my food.

Otherwise, it’s the movies and the latest I’ve taken them to was Kung Fu Panda,” said Sazali.

When there are longer breaks, it’s off to the beach and the family has just recently returned from Mersing where they had spent a few nights in a charming budget chalet.

To date, Sazali and Hashrine have taken the children to most of the beaches in the Peninsula.

“Beach holidays are the most ideal because I can get my sun tan then. One of our favourite spots would be Port Dickson near the polytechnic where Hashrine was studying for her secretarial diploma.

“This place brings back the most memories because I had met her at the Bukit Aman gym while I was training there and I would go all the way to Port Dickson to see her while we were courting,” revealed Sazali.

And beach days are never far away as Sazali is planning for another trip to Bali to watch his friend, Mr. Malaysia, Budah Ancah, compete in the Asian Beach Games in mid October.

“Many parents are awed when I tell them this but it is really not very difficult to handle four children at one go.

“Only Hani and Hishyamuddin, 4, need to be watched over because they are still young. My eldest, Syahmi, 10, and Hazim, 8, can basically look after themselves with minimal supervision,” insisted Sazali.

For someone who had grown up as the fourth child in a family of 11 siblings in Kampung Baru Peserai Lama in Batu Pahat, Johor, Sazali would find himself on familiar ground with his brood.

However, there was a time in 2006 when Sazali was sent on a training stint to the LA, United States and he had to leave his kids behind.

My team: To Sazali, life with four children is never boring

“My heart broke every time I called home because the first thing they asked was when I was coming back,” recalled Sazali.

Nevertheless, Sazali jested that it did not take long for the children to wisen up and now when he competes overseas, they hanker him for the latest toys instead of asking when daddy will be coming home.

His third boy, Hishyamuddin, observed Sazali, seems to be keeping him busy with constant missions to look for the latest robot figurines.

“My children are my biggest fans. I take them whenever I go for the local bodybuilding competitions.

“The moment I come on stage, I can hear them screaming, ‘Ayah! Ayah!’ and that motivates me to give my best,” said Sazali who has won the Mr Universe World Amateur Bodybuilding Championship crown four times first in 2000 and subsequently in 2004, 2006 and 2007.

But like any other parent, there are times when he and his wife will need a break from their boisterous brood.

“This is usually during the school holidays when we send them back to my kampong. My father, Abdul Samad Kasman lives there and at 72, he is still driving his taxi.

“My children love it there because their grandfather, aunties and cousins are around to pamper them.

“Then, it’s when the both of us can go for a proper date. One of my favourite restaurants is the Roadhouse Grill and my wife and I like going there for candlelight dinners,” he revealed.

And speaking of food, Sazali will definitely be giving the regular Ramadan fare a miss because he will be preparing for the World Amateur Championship in Bahrain in the first week of November.

“Oh, I eat everything under the sun when I am not competing but when I am, everything that I consume must be void of oil and sugar.

“So that means I will not be able to take any kuih or lemang. But Hashrine and the children like walking around the Ramadan bazaar so I often take them there during break fast times.

“This is when I will look for my favourite, tandoori chicken. Otherwise Ramadan is usually spent at home watching TV or taking my eldest son for evening prayers at the nearby mosque,” said Sazali.

And come Hari Raya, Sazali will be going home to Johor, where he grew up.

And definitely, he’ll not miss a chance to try out the rendang, which Hashrine will ensure that it is prepared without any sugar or coconut milk.

No comments: